Appreciative Inquiry is a positive consultative mode, based on a model of strengths.
Typical consulting consists of examining processes or systems to find where things are broken: results are unimpressive, failures have occurred, efficiencies are not realized, and so on. This model is deficit-based. And it’s psychologically exhausting and depleting.
Appreciative Inquiry is based on the work of David Cooperrider and looks at what is working within an organization: where the results are surpassing expectations, where successes have occurred, where efficiencies are the norm, and so on. This model is appreciative in nature, and has many benefits over the above-mentioned deficit-based model:
- Appreciative Inquiry is energizing.
- Appreciative Inquiry rewards the positive and brings successes to light in the organization.
- It is easier to replicate success rather than develop new ways to correct defects.
- Appreciative Inquiry works. Quite simply, change starts from the very first question.
- Appreciative Inquiry involves entire systems in the process. With greater involvement comes greater desire for the change.
Please contact LVS Consulting to learn more about Appreciative Inquiry and how it can be of benefit to your organization.